- "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."
- "It is better to be a coward for a minute than dead for the rest of your life."
- "A good laugh and a long sleep are the two best cures."
- "You'll never plow a field by turning it over in your mind."
- "Both your friend and your enemy think you will never die."
- "Don't give cherries to pigs or advice to fools."
- "Anything will fit a naked man."
- "The only cure for love is marriage."
- "He who gets a name for early rising can stay in bed until midday."